|0. I was born in London in 1985 and
I still live there.
1. My debut novel Boxer, Beetle ("Exhilarating" - the Sunday Times) was shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award and the Desmond Elliott Prize and won the UK Writers' Guild Award and the Goldberg Prize for Outstanding Debut Fiction.
1.i read some reviews
1.ii try the first chapter
1.iii refer to the bibliography
2. My second novel The Teleportation Accident ("Extraordinary" – the Sunday Times) was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize and the Premio Gregor von Rezzori and won the Encore Award and a Somerset Maugham Award. Following its publication I was named one of Granta's Best of Young British Novelists 2013.
2.i read some reviews
2.ii try the first chapter
2.iii refer to the readers' guide
3. My third novel Glow ("Dazzling" – the Financial Times) was published in 2014. It was not nominated for any awards, which is a bit awkward in terms of the format I seem to have committed to here.
3.i read some reviews
3.ii try the first chapter
3.iii read an FAQ originally intended for members of the press
3.iv listen to a Spotify playlist of semi-recent music that helped to inspire it
4. My fourth novel Madness Is Better Than Defeat will be published in summer 2017 in the UK and early 2018 in the US.
5. This is my blog. I have also written for the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Guardian, the London Review of Books, Granta, Cabinet, Frieze, Dazed & Confused, AnOther, Esquire, BBC Radio 3 and 4, and various other places.
6. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I am represented by Lutyens and Rubinstein (and, for film and television, by Casarotto).
photo by Alice Neale